Sunday, June 9, 2013

Packing My Suitcase!

Greetings!  I am one week away from leaving Shawnee, OK and heading to training in California!  This last week seems so surreal as I've been preparing to go.  It's almost as if I'm getting ready for an experience I haven't quite convinced myself is about to happen.   Even though I got serious about getting things done a few weeks ago, I still feel far from it.  However, for me I tend to work best with pressure and I get it done.  So much preparation goes into an adventure like this! Preparation like making sure I have all my bills taken care of while I'm gone, finding someone to house and dog sit, packing all that I think I will need in a third world country, but making sure it doesn't weigh more than 50 Ibs., raising $5,000 but more importantly....preparing my heart.  There's been times I've gotten so stressed out with the things I need to bring with me, that I got lost in the fact that what I am bringing to the children of Cambodia is everything they need.  I'm carrying hope, love, forgiveness, salvation, redemption.  All that they need, is within me.  As a child of God, I have the opportunity to tell them a love story that entails them as the main character.  I can bring light into the darkness and tell them they have a Savior who wants them and loves them! When I refocus, my purpose becomes crystal clear and those insignificant things are a blur in the background.

"He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:30 
This song has been one that's really spoken to me throughout the year.  I love that God has used it in several circumstances to remind me to look at Him! Enjoy:)




After one week of training, I will be going to Southeast Asia!  I don't have many details about the conditions of where we will be living and teaching.  It's probably a good thing, because I tend to take control of things.   I am anticipating some culture shock.  That's a given when you've been in the same town all your life. LOL!  I'm a little nervous about the cuisine there.  I haven't had much exposure to many foods, but I am willing to try new things....except bugs!! I really don't want to eat bugs!! There are a few things I need to remember as far as customs and etiquette.  I will constantly have to remind myself to not point at things, cross my legs, or touch children on the head.  I am thankful I will have my team to help me out and vice versa!


Support Update:  I am still continuing to raise support.  I have raised approximately 80% and looking for those to partner with me in raising my last 20%! There are a few ways to give.  https://www.teachoverseas.org/give/make-a-donation/  Fill in your information then in the drop down menu, select teacher and type my name: Britney Lynn Allison.  Your gift is tax-deductible! :)


I would love for you to keep up with my journey.  I will continue to post on my blog when I have the chance.  If you would like to receive an email as well, just send me a message or text me:)




No comments:

Post a Comment