Sunday, April 7, 2013

Calling to Cambodia

I have so many thrilling things happening in life right now!  I realize that many read my blog and I'm so glad!  I would love for you to take one step further and become a follower.  Its super easy, just click on the follow button at the right side of my blog!  I will be updating more frequently in the next coming months.

I will start with what is coming up this summer, since it's very exciting and scary all at the same time for me.  As most of you know, I went to New York City last summer to earn a certification in teaching English overseas.  It was hard work, but I loved being there and experiencing something new!  You all know I am  in love with NYC!  People asked me what my plans were after taking the course.  I didn't have a specific agenda, but I knew that I had a desire to see the world, experience new cultures, while sharing the love of Christ!  I had planned to travel somewhere the following summer.  Before I knew it, January was here and I had not even looked into opportunities to teach overseas.  I received my certification in the mail a lot later than anticipated, however when I did, I wondered if it were too late to start looking.  I searched online and was very hesitant about going to a foreign country alone.  Since I have never been off of American soil, I thought that traveling alone my first time wouldn't be the best choice.  I was at Starbucks one day and found a site called TeachOverseas.org! I read every word on the site and had to find out more.  I discovered that it is a non-profit Christian organization that sends teams overseas to teach English and share God's love through it.  My heart started beating a little faster the more I read!  I knew I wanted to teach children and the place that stood out to me was Cambodia.  I quickly signed up to get more information.  The following day, I talked with someone about TeachOverseas and how to apply. I filled out the application and had a phone interview the same week.  I sent out for references and prayed through each step that God would reveal if this was what I was suppose to do.  I heard word a week later that I had been accepted to the Cambodia Team!!

I was so excited that I could do something like this, but fear and doubt crept in quickly.  I believed lies from the enemy telling me that I couldn't do it.   I listened to him say that I am not the type to do this, that I would be a terrible teacher, that I wouldn't make it in a foreign country or live without my hair and makeup products (lol, I'm not joking).  I worried about how I would afford it.  I had time to pray more about it and through the decision process, God reminded me that was all true.  I can't do any of those things on my own.  They can only be done with Him! A few things needed to be taken care of in order for me to go.  The dates I would be gone could not interfere with school starting back up, I needed to find someone to house sit for me and take care of Jack for 5 weeks, and I needed to raise approximately $5,000. The trip begins on June 16 and I will arrive back on July 23rd.  That doesn't give me a lot of time when I come back, but I will have a little time to rest before preparing my classroom.  God provided someone who graciously accepted to house sit and Jack sit for me while I'm gone.  With those two things set, I accepted the invitation to go to teach children in Cambodia.  Money was still something I was concerned about, but I chose to listen to Him and not the lies.  This gave me Godfidence to follow him and trust Him to take care of it! 
     A few days later, I received a letter at school from someone anonymous.  I opened the letter and read that this family had chosen me to share a random act of  kindness.  They wrote so many wonderful things and decided to bless me in the next months to help me with my trip to Cambodia! I was so astonished and moved by the love from this family to want to help someone like me and be a part of what God will be doing thousands of miles away! It was affirmation that God would provide!  Not long after that, I was visiting with a family that are wonderful friends of mine.  They voiced they wanted to help and made a donation as well!  My heart is so full, not because I've had anything to do with it but that God has had everything to do with it!

My life verse has been Acts 20:24.  I'm ready to put this verse to action.

"But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God."


     I am now 9 weeks away from traveling to southeast Asia, a country that is predominately Buddhist, and many have not heard the name of Jesus.  I am humbled that God would choose me to love on these precious children with the love He has given me!  God is preparing this soldier mentally, physically and most importantly spiritually.

"Exercise daily in God- no spiritual flabbiness, please! Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever.  You can count on this.  Take it to heart." -1 Timothy 4:8 & 9 (The Message)


I would love for you to partner with me and become a part of my team!  There are two ways you can do this!

One way is to be in prayer for me!  It will be an adjustment and I want God to open my eyes to the pain and lostness of this world so he can use me. I want to leave being forever changed.  Remember my team, that we will work together and make every moment we are there count.  Pray that the hearts of the people of Cambodia will be opened to the Truth.  

Another way is by making a financial donation.  If you would like to make a tax deductible donation, please visit teachoverseas.org  You can click on the donate button.  On the drop down menu, click Staff and type in my name Brittney Lynn Allison and enter the amount. 


Have a blessed day!

Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment